Custom Home Builder
Call Us Today: (940) 686-2888
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]Frequently asked questions about Warranty[/vc_column_text][vc_separator color=”grey” align=”align_center”][vc_toggle title=”Appliances” open=”true” style=”default” size=”md”]Q. Are appliances covered under the Cashion Limited Warranty?

A. No, appliances are directly warranted through the manufacturer.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Attic Storage” open=”false” style=”default” size=”md”]Q. Can I use my attic as storage?

A. No. The framing components in your attic area were not designed to carry additional weight. Storing items in your attic may void your Structural Warranty as well as cause drywall damage on interior ceilings.

EXCEPTION –Single story homes may use the attic space above the garage.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Cracks” open=”false” style=”default” size=”md”]Q. Are concrete cracks warranted?

A. Concrete by nature is prone to minor cracks and is considered a common occurrence. Minor cracking is normal and should be expected due to shrinkage, settlement, expansion and contraction of the concrete and or Soil. Control joints are placed in drive ways and sidewalks to help control concrete cracks and provide an area for them to occur. For more information see your Express Warranty.



Q. Will I have drywall cracks and/or nail pops?

Information: Drywall is stressed during the stabilization of the lumber, which is inherent in the construction of the house. Due to the initial stabilization problem that exists with each new home, it is impossible to correct each defect as it occurs, and it is essentially useless to do so. The entire home will tend to stabilize itself with time. Correcting the drywall near the end of the 1 year warranty period provides the consumer with the best possible solution.

A. Minor drywall cracks, corner-bead cracks, and nail pops on interior walls and ceilings are caused by home settlement and drying of wood framing materials. Cashion Homes offers the repair of any drywall settlement cracks in excess of 1/8” in width and all nail pops in the 30 day warranty request and the 12 Month Warranty, you should keep a list and send the request to warranty at 11 months.

NOTE: A perfect match between original and new paint cannot be expected, and the contractor is not required to paint an entire wall or room. The contractor is not required to repair defects that are covered by wallpaper.

Observation: A nail pop, blister, paint, or other blemish is visible on a finished wall or ceiling.

Performance Guideline: Any such blemishes that are readily visible in a room, standing position facing the surface at a distance of 6 feet under normal lighting conditions are considered excessive.

Corrective Measure: One time only during the 1 year warranty period, the contractor will repair such blemishes. The contractor will touch up paint on repaired areas if the contractor was responsible for the original interior painting. A perfect match between original and new paint cannot be expected, and the contractor is not required to paint an entire wall or room.


Q. I have a small crack in my brick mortar. Does this mean I have a foundation problem?

A. A small crack in the mortar of your brick veneer is usually not a sign of foundation concern, but rather of minor expansion and contraction of the building materials. Brick and stone can also develop a whitish staining known as efflorescence, which is a normal occurrence. To lessen and possibly remove this staining, scrub with a stiff brush and a tablespoon of vinegar mixed with warm water. The brick on your home is a veneer and is considered non-structural.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Electrical” open=”false” style=”default” size=”md”]Q. Why is my garage, exterior, kitchen, or bath outlet not working?

A. Your home is equipped with ground fault interrupters (GFI plug with a test/reset button) circuit breakers to prevent damage to the wiring during an overload and to keep you from getting shocked. The most common cause of an overload is having too make appliances plugged into a single circuit, or your power goes off due to lighting or power surges. To reset the GFI, find the plug with the test/reset button. To reset a tripped breaker, locate the breaker of the tripped circuit. It will be the one that is set between the on and off position. Flip the breaker completely off and then flip it to the on position.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Fireplace” open=”false” style=”default” size=”md”]Q. How do I use my fireplace?

A. When you are using a wood-burning fireplace be sure the flue is opened to allow the smoke and gases to escape. Once the fire is lit be sure the screens or doors are closed to prevent sparks from getting into the house. Gas fireplaces use gas only. Never try to burn paper or wood in these types of fireplaces. Also, your fireplace may give off an odor during the first few uses. This smell is packing grease used to protect the unit before installation and should stop after a few uses.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Flooring” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Why do my hardwood floors sometimes make a creaking noise when I walk on them?

A. Hardwood flooring is a natural product and its natural qualities make them desirable. Much like any wood product used in the construction of your new home, the hardwoods will expand and contract according to the humidity level in your home. Controlling humidity levels (using heater/ac during wet seasons will pull humidity out of the home) according to the hardwood manufacturer’s recommendations will help control the dimensional stability of the hardwood.



Q. What products should I use to clean my new hardwood floors?

A. Sweep or vacuum your floors regularly since built-up grit can damage the surface of the wood. The vacuum head must be a brush or felt type. Be certain the wheels of the vacuum are clean and do not damage the finish. DO NOT use a vacuum with a beater bar head. Remove spills promptly using a soft cloth and cleaning products recommended by the manufacturer.  Do not use hardwood floor cleaning machines or steam cleaners.



Q. How do I care for my vinyl floor?

A. Vinyl floors can be vacuumed, swept, or wiped down with a cloth. If liquid is spilled on the vinyl, wipe it up quickly to prevent staining and loosening of the vinyl from the floor. Never use harsh cleaners such as turpentine, kerosene or alcohol on your vinyl. High heels and other small pointed or sharp objects can dent or even cut your vinyl floor. Most manufacturers of flooring have specific care and maintenance products for their flooring.



Q. What is the best way to maintain my new carpet?

A. Frequent vacuuming and spot treatment of stains as soon as they occur.



Q. Why is my carpet shedding?

A. Your home’s carpet will have a certain amount of shedding for the first few months after installation. This is a normal occurrence and should be vacuumed regularly to remove the loose fibers. As a general rule you cannot over vacuum your carpet.



Q. Do I need to seal the grout at my ceramic tile?

A. Water can penetrate grout seams and joints and can damage materials adjacent to and underneath the tile. In order to help prevent water penetration and grout staining, apply a silicone-based sealer as needed after you move-in and periodically thereafter according to the manufacturer recommendations.

[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Garbage Disposal” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. What do I do if my garbage disposal jams?

A. If your garbage disposal jams, be sure to turn the disposal off and disconnect the power supply or shut off the main circuit breaker. Next, manually free the blades from the obstruction. Some disposals have been equipped with a disposal wrench that can be used for this purpose. The insertion point for the disposal wrench is located at the center of the bottom of the garbage disposal. Once the blades are free, press the reset button and test the unit. Always run cool water into the unit when in use.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Gas/Propane” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. How do I shut the gas off to my home?

A. The gas meter to your home is located on the exterior of your home. To shut off the gas in an emergency simply turn the valve ¼ turn so the valve crosses the line. Whenever the gas has been shut off some gas appliances may need to be relit when the gas supply is returned. All gas appliances should be checked for proper operation when the gas is returned. EACH appliance also has an individual cut off. We recommend this be done by a licensed professional.



Q. I have propane and I’m smelling a rotten egg smell, what does that mean?

A. You are running out of propane and need to call for a fill up from your propane distributor.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”HVAC” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. How often should I replace the filters in my HVAC system?

A. Your home comes with a 4 inch media filter which should be replaced every 3 to 6 months depending on home environment (animals that shed, etc.) To remove and replace air filters, turn the furnace and fan off using the thermostat control or shut-off switch, then pull out the old filter. Be sure to install new filter with the arrows pointing in the direction of the airflow.



Q. How can I run my HVAC system more efficiently?

A. To prevent over taxing your system, start the air conditioner in the morning and let it maintain the desired temperature all day rather than lowering the temperature in the afternoon. Keep windows and doors closed and keep window coverings closed to block out heat from the sun.



Q. Why is the top floor of my home warmer than the lower floors?

A. Hot air rises, causing upper floors to be somewhat warmer than lower floors. This can be minimized with seasonal balancing of air flow by adjusting air dampers and/or individual room air supply registers. Partially opening and closing dampers and registers will release and restrict more air flow, respectively, and force more or less conditioned air to other areas of the home. You may also increase circulation by ensuring furnace filters are clean and utilizing ceiling fans. Closing blinds and drapes to deflect afternoon sunlight will also help to minimize increases in interior temperature.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Hot Water Heater” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. What temperature should the hot water heater be set at?

A. Water temperature is set between 120°F and 125°F from the manufacturer, as required by code. While lower settings reduce utility operating costs, bear in mind that dishwashers, which have their own heating element, do not sanitize properly with settings below 125°F.



Q. Does my water heater (tank type) require maintenance?

A. Small amounts of scale deposits will collect and settle to the bottom of the water tank. Remove this residue by periodically draining the tank. For electric water heaters, shut off the power first using the appropriate circuit breaker in the electrical panel box. Then open the valve at the bottom of the water heater, allowing a quart or two of residue to drain out until the water runs clear. If you live in a hard-water region, a water softener will reduce the need for more frequent draining. Do not completely drain an electric water tank without first shutting off the water heater circuit breaker. Otherwise, the heating element will burn out. For gas water heaters, it is recommended to have the unit periodically evaluated by a professional contractor.



Q. Does my Rinnai tankless hot water heater require maintenance?

A. Refer to your home owner warranty book and see the Rinnai Warranty Information.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Landscaping/Settlement” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Why is my yard not flat?

A. Cashion grades your yard to allow storm water to flow away from your foundation to prevent potential water damage.



Q. I have settlement around my home.

A. We will fill settled areas affecting proper drainage in excess of 6 inches, one time only during the    warranty period. You will be responsible for the removal and replacement of landscaping.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Major Structural Defects” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. What is covered by the Major Structural Warranty?

A. The Major Structural Warranty covers Load-Bearing Components of your new home.

Load Bearing Components are:

  • Roof framing members (rafters and trusses)
  • Floor framing members (joists and trusses)
  • Bearing walls
  • Columns (Note: Cedar columns will crack and that is normal, not a defect)
  • Lintels (other than lintels supporting veneers)
  • Girders
  • Load-bearing beams
  • Foundation systems and footings

Examples of Non-Load-Bearing Components, damage to which does not constitute a Major Structural Defect are:

  • Non-load-bearing partitions and walls
  • Drywall
  • Floor covering; sub-floor materials; or wall covering material
  • Brick, stucco, decorative cementations finish, stone, or veneer
  • Any type of exterior siding
  • Roof shingles, sheathing and tar paper
  • Heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems
  • Appliances, fixtures, or items of equipment
  • Doors, windows, trim, cabinets, hardware, insulation, paint, and stains
[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Paint” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. How often should I repaint my home?

A. Stucco, wood trim, non-vinyl siding, and eaves all have painted surfaces. Many things effect how often you will paint your home. Some dark colors are more affected by sun exposure and may need recoating more often than lighter colors. Some areas of your home receive more exposure to sunlight and the elements than the rest of your home. Depending on the harshness of the climate where you live, peeling and cracking paint can occur more frequently than in other areas. This is the first sign that a home needs to be repainted. Peeling and cracking paint can allow moisture and other harmful elements to penetrate the wood framing and foundation of your home. It is wise to inspect your home often for these tell-tale signs.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Pest Control” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Is my home treated for insects?

A. Cashion treats your home for termites. The termite treatment is warranted during the first year and Cashion Custom Homes recommends periodic maintenance thereafter through a certified licensed pest control contractor.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Plumbing” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Why is there a smell coming from my drain?

A. The various plumbing drains in your home have a U-shaped trap that prevents sewer odors from re-entering your home. They do this by trapping a small amount of water in the line that blocks the sewer gases. If you have a plumbing fixture or floor drain that is rarely used, run a small amount of water into the line every month to maintain the water level in the trap. You should also check under the sinks and around any plumbing fixture monthly to verify that a leak has not occurred. A small leak, left unchecked, can cause major damage to cabinets, flooring, and walls can allow the growth of mold.



Q. The water pressure at my kitchen faucet seems to be dropping. Should I call the plumber for service?

A. Before calling the plumber, unscrew the faucet aerator and check for debris in the aerator screen.

Also check to make sure the water shutoff valves for the faucet is fully open.



Q. Are faucets covered under the Cashion Limited Warranty?

A. No, faucets are directly warranted through the manufacturer. (The plumbing supply house will work with the plumber in your contact list & Cashion’s for warranty during the first 2 years.) Send request to warranty and they will have plumbing contractor contact you.



Q. What do I do in the event of a plumbing leak?

A. If a plumbing leak is discovered in your home immediately shut off the water supply to the affected area. Individual shut off valves at the fixture will isolate that location and allow the rest of the plumbing system in the home to be used. If the leak cannot be isolated in this manner shut off the main water supply to the home. If the leak is covered under your Cashion Custom Homes warranty, notify Cashion using the procedures outlined in your warranty manual. If the leak is not under warranty, call a licensed plumbing contractor to correct the problem. For Emergency’s please use phone number for contractor in your main Warranty Book.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Shower Grout” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. What do I do about cracks in the grout of my shower?

A. Cracks in the grout/caulk are considered normal due to settlement of the home. It is important to keep these areas sealed with a good latex caulk. Inspect your shower frequently, and re-caulk as needed.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Snow/Ice on Concrete” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Can I use salt to melt snow and ice on the exterior concrete?

A. No. Salt and other de-icing chemicals will severely damage exterior concrete surfaces and cause pitting and spalling. These chemicals may be tracked in by your vehicle’s tires or accumulate in your vehicle’s undercarriage. Remove snow and ice promptly from the concrete surfaces. If a thin layer of ice cannot be removed we recommend the use of sand or cat litter to provide safe traction.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Toilets” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Is it okay to use “in the tank” toilet cleaners?

A. NO, You should use regular type toilet bowl cleaners and not those that are placed in the tank. They have chemicals that react to the rubber valves and gaskets in the tank and may cause a leak. If you have a septic tank, you should use a septic safe cleaner. Any consequential damages caused by these leaks are not covered under your warranty.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Trim” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. Why do gaps form at caulked areas such as the stairs and around trim?

A. Separation of some moldings is normal and caused by home settlement, expansion and contraction of building materials due to changes in humidity. Maintain these areas by periodically re-caulking with a latex caulk.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Warranty” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. How do I request warranty service?

A. All non-emergency service requests must be submitted in writing e-mail, or regular US Mail. To submit an e-mail request online visit the Warranty Request Form page. For emergencies please contact the proper contractor shown on the Emergency Contact list provided to you at your orientation.



Q. What is considered an emergency?

A. Some warranty items are considered an emergency. Most emergencies are either electrical, plumbing or heating related and are normally handled by the appropriate contractor or utility company. The names and service telephone numbers of these important people are listed on the Emergency Contact list. Before calling for help with an emergency, please review the appropriate electrical, heating, or plumbing section in your Homeowner Manual to determine if the problem can be resolved simply.



Q. Can I schedule warranty service work on the weekends or evenings?

A. NO, warranty service requests must be scheduled during normal business hours Monday thru Friday.



Q. I will not be home for the repairs. Can someone else let you in to do the work?

A. Cashion requires access to the home by a responsible adult 18 years of age or older. Cashion personnel and contractors will not perform any work if minors are present unaccompanied by an adult.



Q. How do I know if something is covered by my warranty?

A. Warranties are provided through Cashion Custom Homes and product manufacturers. Your Homeowner Manual will explain what items in your home are warranted and the extent and duration of the coverage.



Q. When does my warranty period start?

A. Your warranty period starts on the Effective Date, which is when your final orientation walk thru is completed and accepted or when you occupy the home, whichever occurs first.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Windows” style=”default” size=”md” open=”false”]Q. How do I care for my windows?

A. Your windows do not require a great deal of care; however, you should vacuum the window tracks once a year to keep them clean of dirt and debris. Also, periodically check to make sure that the weep holes on the bottom exterior of your windows are clear to allow water to drain from the window. Failure to keep these clear could cause water to enter into your home.



Q. I have a fog between the panes of glass on my window.

A. You have a seal failure between the panels of glass. Typically, this type of glass failure is covered by the manufacturer of the window. You should contact the manufacturer for replacement.[/vc_toggle][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Latest Posts


Cashion Custom Homes
PO Box 1025 | Pilot Point, TX 76258
Phone: (940) 686-2888

Our Mission

Our mission is to create an enjoyable homebuilding experience for our clients. Our family is committed to excellence. Excellence in our service, and excellence and honor in the way we do business. We build peoples dreams. To most people, a home is a dream come true. We feel honored to be the company fulfilling your dreams.